Lame as it is, I love filling out surveys. I just love myself that much..
Here's my attempt at the 2009 survey. I hope it's entertaining, informative, and thought-provoking. Who am I kidding? It's about me.. it's going to provocative!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
A lot. I bought a foreclosed home on the steps of the county courthouse.. in the freezing cold. I successfully and naturally had an egg implanted by my husband that eventually developed into the freakin' huge 5lb "fetus" she is now.
There were a lot of little things that happened. Random things actually. I bought a kitchen table with my father-in-law. That was the best bonding experience we've had. I had awkward breastfeeding conversations with my mother-in-law. That scarred me for life. I realized I can no longer laugh and control my bladder.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I want to say my resolution was to be a better wife. I didn't exactly fulfill that everyday. But I attempted. I think Marshall did a better job being a better husband. He's taken over so many household responsibilities (medical, car and home insurance, paying and setting up utilities, the entire yard, cooking and cleaning). I'm very blessed to have such a obedient, I mean well-rounded, husband.
If I were to make a resolution for 2010 (and I say twenty-ten), it would be to be less selfish. I am so selfish. I like to sleep in and do things my way, when I want.. and I won't be able to do whatever I want with a baby. She's going to come before me.. but I have to remember my husband comes before her. Growing up sucks.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So many. And many adoptions, too! Brother-in-law adopted Isaiah. Sister-in-law delivered Caleb. Friends, Mollyanne and Laurie. Coworkers, Christa and Lacie. Church people.. so many I can't remember.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
2009 was hard. My Grandmommie and D-Dad both passed away, 6 weeks apart. Our family knew it was inevitable. They battled with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, respectively, for years. It was for the best. I only wish Marshall and Hartley could have seen them when they were well.
5. What countries did you visit?
The US of A. That's sad. I only traveled to one other state, South Carolina. Marshall and I have never had the time to travel.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I was really blessed in 2009. I could be selfish (which I'm trying not to do..) and ask for a new car.. but I'm happy and content with my almost 11-year-old T-rex.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 3rd - bought our house.
May 20th (I think) - probably conception date, right before my mom remarried.
June 5th - we're pregnant.. and we didn't wait long to tell everybody!
September 8th - we felt baby kick
September 10th - baby is a Girl!
October 4th - Hudson was born.. and that was D-Dad's birthday. A very good day!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
There were a lot. I helped Marshall graduate from vet school. :) And then he thanked me by knocking me up.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not fulfilling my resolution.. *snickers*. I didn't eat very healthy, follow through with my prenatal yoga (that Marshall even bought for me!), nor floss my teeth everyday or week...
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had some nasty stomach bugs early in the year. But that was about it. No morning sickness!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our house. I love my house. I love my nursery, too. And our flat screen tv. And all the maternity clothes I just had to get. If you can't tell, we had more money this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Marshall. He's such a good boy.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I shouldn't be depressed by somebody's behavior. But I got really ticked off with a coworkers lack of effort. I still am. Glad to have the day off of work! Four day weekend.. what what!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Lowe's. And McAlister's. But it's all Marshall's fault. He would go to Lowe's during lunch practically everyday. And when I would tell him I was leaving work, he would tell me to stop and get something to eat. I would then tell him I didn't know what I wanted to eat.. he would say McAlister's.. and the cravings began.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Hartley Caroline. Decorating her nursery and imagining how much she looks like her Daddy.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Taylor Swift songs. I know, lame. But I really started liking her music. Not her voice.. or her acting.. just her music.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
(a) happier or sadder? Happier. Definitely. 2009 was a year of uncertainty. Would we buy a house or rent a few more months/years? Would we get pregnant? Would Marshall actually graduate?!
(b) thinner or fatter? I was probably 108 when 2009 started. I am at least 136 now. Hmm..
(c) richer or poorer? Richer. But we still live modestly and think twice (or 5 times) about splurging.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel. I hate traveling though. But I think Marshall and I should have planned a trip for the two of us. We just didn't have the time. And when we had the time.. it's because we weren't working and didn't have the money. Life is funny. But at least we had each other. (lame)
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Attempting to connect to the internet. This has been our third year without paid internet. And it sucks when I have to walk around the house trying to find good reception. My current route starts in the freezing garage, when I get a good bar (just one) I hurry to the dining room and sit in front of the window. That works.. sometimes. I think we're going to breakdown this year.. even though we said that months ago. But I would really like reception in the comfortable chair in the nursery so I can blog while I breastfeed!
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With all the family! It was great! Christmas Eve was spent with Marshall's side and later my mom's side. Christmas day was spent with my mom and then my Dad's side. The next day was a nice break, full of cramping and contractions. And then we went to visit Marshall's grandmother. I was definitely glad to come home from all the traveling.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Sassy and I bonded a lot since we moved. Sometimes I feel bad because I think Maddie knows that Sassy is my girl and she is Marshall's. It's a weird situation.. but I have really taken to Sassy Bean.
Oh.. and I'm head over heels in love with Hartley. It's strange how you get to that "point" in the relationship. I've never met her. Only seen her a few times. Feel her everyday. But I can't wait until she arrives. I'm just going to stare at her for hours. And play with her little hands and feet. And compare her looks to Marshall's. And giggle when she makes funny faces in her sleep. And I can't wait for her to meet the dogs. I look forward to watching her and her Daddy together. I'm gonna cry a lot probably.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
How I Met Your Mother. Hilarious.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
That's horrible.
24. What was the best book you read?
Lots of baby books. I should read more in 2010.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Taylor Swift!
26. What did you want and get?
I've wanted to get pregnant since I was in high school. That sounds really weird.. but it's true. I've always wanted to have babies.. but the desire to be pregnant and experience it had consumed my mind for years. That happened. And it was the best experience because I haven't had complications. I never had morning sickness. I didn't have to use the bathroom 2-3 times during the night (until this past week). I think my belly is really cute.. and I only got a few stretch marks that only Marshall can see (so those don't matter). I can only hope for a smooth labor and delivery.. and well-behaved child.
27. What did you want and not get?
I don't know.. internet access?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't think Marshall and I went to the movies in 2009. If we did, I don't remember. We just saw "The Blind Side" and it technically came out in 2009, although we saw it New Year's Day.. it was good. Does that count?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 and Marshall took me to Savannah! We ate at Bella's and had authentic Italian food. And Starbucks. He originally wanted to take me on a weekend-getaway/Babymoon.. but those were thousands of dollars! I exaggerate.. only one thousand.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting a Publix and Target in Statesboro. Seriously. I would have eaten healthier and dressed cuter. And spent a lot more money. Go economy!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Clearance Rack!! I bought so many $3 tops at K-mart! And I now know where all the good maternity sections are (Target, Belk, K-mart, Kohl's).
32. What kept you sane?
Only working part-time. Venting to Marshall.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chuck Bartowski.. I don't even remember his real name. But apparently, he's my baby's daddy (such good dreams I've had).
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The gossip that went on down at Snookie's. Them Sea Island bankers be talkin' bad 'bout my First Southern. Dey's my family! (really..)
35. Who did you miss?
Marshall and I really missed our church family in Athens.. until they betrayed us and never visited. So we don't miss them anymore! I've missed having my Momma close. We really bonded throughout the pregnancy. And she always bought me stuff when we were together.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I haven't met her yet. But I'm sure Hartley is the coolest person ever.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Everything happens for a reason.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
That's a lot of work.. but I'll try. What song could possibly have the lyrics that include buying a house, graduating from vet school, moving away from friends and getting pregnant? I give up.
3 comments:
Hey now. We haven't BETRAYED you. It's just that we're terrible people, okay? It's not you, it's me. So don't take it personally. :) But we DO miss yall. And I hope we can come soon. What if you have Hartley while we are visiting? THat would be great. We don't have Matt's Saturday schedule yet (they've changed it for 2010) but maybe the last weekend in Jan if he doesn't work then? Or is that too close to due date?
It just has to be after Jan 15...which is my next payday...and Miss Hartley most definitely needs some presents from Auntie Erika!
WV: reinem. Reign 'em in, Amanda...
I didn't know Hudson was born on your D-Dad's birthday. How special!
And on a similar note, motherhood has definitely made me more sentimental. So I'll kind of be glad if you cry more after Hartley's born, because I'll know I'm not the only one.
I also didn't remember that you bought your house Feb. 3rd...that's the day we found out I was pregnant!
Your New Years Resolution will absolutely come true. There is no way to become a parent and not also become less selfish. And you won't even mind that she takes priority over your sleep, your eating, going to the bathroom, or anything else. Definitely the best way to be less selfish!
WV: ankabled. No cankles for you, you're ankabled!
This was a fun post to read. But I am mainly just posting so that I can share my word verification with the world: cenis.
Post a Comment